Open Circle is a comprehensive, grade-differentiated, social and emotional learning program for grades K-5. Social and emotional learning addresses the critical need for students to develop social and emotional competence in order to achieve success in their relationships, academics, work and life. The model focuses on five key areas:
- Self-awareness: Recognizing one’s emotions and values as well as one’s strengths and limitations
- Self-management: Managing emotions and behaviors to achieve one’s goal
- Social awareness: Showing and understanding empathy for others
- Relationship skills: Forming positive relationships, working in teams, dealing effectively with conflict
- Responsible decision-making: Making ethical, constructive choices about personal and social behavior
All teachers at Seven Hills in grades K-5 attend a 4 day intensive training to be able to implement the Open Circle program in their classrooms. Special area teachers are trained in the curriculum, administrators are given training, parents were given training at College week, and Seven Hills has trained 2 staff as coaches of the Open Circle Program to offer guidance and support to our teachers.
Here are a few links that can be reviewed by parents for notes and tips on how to implement Open Circle with your child(ren).